Tom is the Managing Partner and a member of the firm’s Real Estate section. He has over twenty-nine years of experience in commercial real estate, including development, land use and zoning, sales and acquisitions, leasing, landlord/tenant, evictions, workouts, bankruptcy, and financing. His clients include institutional landowners, developers, REIT’s, property management companies, property owners, and condominium and owner associations.
Tom has extensive experience in representing landlords and tenants in their lease negotiations. He has experience in all property types including retail, office, industrial, and fixed use. He averages nearly 250 lease transactions annually.
Tom also advises his clients regarding development, including entitlements, financing, and debt structure. He has overseen the development of numerous office and industrial parks including the governing documentation.
Other areas of expertise include matters pertaining to judicial and public trustee real property foreclosures in Colorado. His practice has involved resolving title issues affecting real property. Tom has served as general counsel for the National Flood Determination Association since 1997 and is an expert in flood insurance matters.
Publications & Speaking Engagements
- Presenter at the ColoradoBiz 30th Top Company Anniversary Awards Ceremony, Seawell Ballroom at the Denver Center for the Performing Arts, August 30, 2017
- Moderator, “Hot Topics in Retail Development” June 15, 2017
- Panelist, “Legal Issues Facing the Flood Industry,” National Flood Determination Association’s Annual Conference, March 27th, 2017
- Panelist “Legal Issues Facing the Flood Industry” National Flood Determination Association’s Annual Conference, March 22nd, 2016
- Panelist “Legal Issues Facing the Flood Industry” National Flood Determination Association’s Annual Conference, March 24th, 2015
- Moderator, “Hot Topics in Real Estate: How Are You Affected?” August 28, 2014
- Co-author, "Office Building Jigsaw Puzzle" Colorado Real Estate
- Moderator, “Business in the Bakken” panel discussion, April 17, 2014
- “Evolution of the National Flood Insurance Program,” National Flood Conference, New Orleans, April 2002
- “The Anatomy of a Flood Claim,” National Flood Determination Conference, February 2001
- "What Creditors Should Know About Foreclosures and Mortgage Deficiencies," National Association of Retail Collection Attorneys Springtime Collection Conference, 1995
- "The Federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act," MICA Legal Symposium, 1995
- "Bankruptcy and the FDCPA," Colorado Mortgage Lenders Association Conference, 1994