As an experienced tax attorney, Scott counsels clients on how to effectively structure their business, oil & gas and real estate ventures, as well as insulate wealth from transfer taxes.
Scott has both the knowledge and vision to assist business owners, oil & gas executives and their families in accumulating and preserving long-term business and personal wealth. He provides invaluable guidance on selecting tax-advantageous business entities, identifying opportunities to increase after-tax income, structuring deferred and reverse like-kind exchanges, planning business expansions and acquisitions, and transferring wealth generationally in a tax-wise manner.
As part of his comprehensive business counsel, Scott advises clients on methodologies to attract and retain employees through a variety of tax-deferred compensation arrangements: incentive stock options, nonqualified stock options, phantom equity plans, and nonqualified deferred compensation arrangements. To maximize investment, Scott devises business continuity plans for transitioning businesses to key employees or younger family members, and also develops innovative exit strategies in cases of sales to third parties. When needed, Scott is a vigorous advocate for his clients in resolving tax disputes before the Internal Revenue Service, the U.S. Tax Court, and the U.S. Court of Federal Claims.
With an eye towards security and stability, Scott assists clients with their estate and business planning needs through creative income, estate and gift tax strategies. One area of especial interest is establishment of family limited partnerships and devising estate freezing transactions. He also assists clients with their philanthropic objectives through formation of private family foundations, as well as charitable lead and charitable remainder trusts.
Scott frequently writes and lectures on a variety of sophisticated tax topics. He has authored extensive course materials for CLE of Colorado, Inc., National Business Institute, Inc., Rocky Mountain Estate Planning Council, Greater Denver Tax Counsel's Association, ING-Security Life of Denver, and National Association of Certified Valuation Analysts. He also has written several articles for The Colorado Lawyer, Denver Business Journal and Denver Real Estate Journal.
- "Important Changes To Consider" September 3, 2016
- "3 Reasons to Use a Charitable Remainder Trust as a Tax-Savings Tool" September 24, 2014
- "How to Deduct Marijuana Expenses" TheStreet, January 22, 2014
- "Can You Afford to Wait to Sell Your Business?" Denver Business Journal, May 29, 2012
- “Legislature Comes to Rescue of Conservation Easement Taxpayers,” Colorado Real Estate Journal, August 3, 2011
- “Navigating LLC Waters,” Scott Greiner and Robert Roper, The Financial Manager, September/October 2008
- "Tips for Transferring Wealth from Generation to Generation," Denver Business Journal, September 5, 2008