With more than a decade of trial experience in complex commercial litigation, Burke Riggs protects the rights and property of distributors, suppliers, and franchisors. Burke has represented clients in trials before judges, juries, regulatory authorities, and arbitrators in 12 states and Puerto Rico.
Burke's history of successful representation of distributors and manufacturers includes obtaining judgments dismissing plaintiffs' claims of toxic tort for personal injury and wrongful death. He also has successfully litigated cases involving commercial issues involving distribution agreements, sales and recovery of goods under the U.C.C., exclusivity provisions, unfair competition, false advertising, and Lanham Act violations.
Burke regularly taps into his experience representing industrial and construction businesses to protect the rights and property of suppliers. Burke's experience includes litigating and trying cases concerning payment, defect, and delivery disputes.
Burke has shut down more than 25 businesses for illegally using his clients' trademarks, trade dress and other intellectual property. He also has protected clients' intellectual property rights by trying and resolving cases in the United States Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, as well as in other federal courts.
Burke frequently writes and lectures on franchise, distribution, construction, and litigation topics. Most recently, he authored and co-presented the article "Product Liability Problems Facing Franchisors" at the Defense Research Institute. Burke also authored the article "Achieving Litigation Preparedness in the Electronic Age" published in the Denver Business Journal. Burke has participated in advance course work on trial and jury research at the National Institute of Trial Advocacy, and he is a proud member of the NITA Foundation.
- “Axis Venture Group, LLC v. IIII Tower, LLC, 2010 U. S. Dist. Lexis 30594 (D. Colo. March 30, 2010)
- “E-21 Engineering v. Steve Stock & Associates, Inc. 2010 Colo. App. Lexis 1074 (Colo. App. Aug. 5, 2010)
Presentations, publications and interviews
- Co-presenter, "When In-House Counsel Takes the Stand," Association of Corporate Counsel Colorado Chapter 2013 In-House Counsel Forum, April 24, 2013
- “Check Foundation Carefully Before Building Your Franchise,” Denver Business Journal, February 11, 2011.
- “Communications in the Face of Crisis,” Moye White New and Emerging Franchisor Conference, Denver, September 30, 2010.
- “New Federal and State Laws Restrict the Sale of Store Bought Gift Cards by Franchisors, Franchisees and Other Merchants,” Moye White Opportunities & Challenges, July 2010.
- “Franchise System Financing in a Tight Credit Market,” Moye White Opportunities & Challenges, April 2010.
- “New Opportunities for Colorado Exporters of Environmental Products and Services,” Moye White Opportunities & Challenges, March 2010.
- “Product Liability Problems Facing Franchisors,” The Defense Research Institute, April 2009.
- “Achieving Preparedness in the Electronic Age,” Denver Business Journal, February 2008.
- “The State of the Intertwining Doctrine in Colorado,” The Colorado Lawyer, January 2007.
- “Judicial Independence: A Discussion with Judges of the United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit,” 74 Denv. U.L. Rev. 355 (1997)
- “Judicial Independence: An Historic Perspective,” 74 Denv. U. 2. Rev. 337 (1997)